Recipe for Maria Simona's Turron Flan
For the caramel :
- 200 g of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of water
For the flan :
- 200 g of turron de Jijona Maria Simona (you can also choose the nougat depending on the texture that suits your tastes and preferences)
- 500 ml of whole milk
- 4 eggs
- 100 g of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cornflour
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the sugar and water over a medium heat. Do not stir the mixture, but you can gently turn the pan to distribute the caramel evenly.
- Cook the caramel until it turns golden, taking care not to burn it. You can tilt the pan slightly to obtain an even colour.
- Once the caramel has reached the desired colour, pour it quickly into a flan tin, making sure to cover the base. Tilt the tin so that the caramel coats the sides evenly. Leave to cool down.
Préparation of the flan :
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (gas mark 6).
- Heat the milk in a saucepan without bringing to the boil. Once the milk is hot, add the turrón in pieces and stir until it has completely melted and mixed with the milk. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar until smooth.
- Add the cornflour, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt to the egg and sugar mixture, then stir in the cooled milk and turron mixture. Mix well until the mixture is smooth.
- Gently pour the mixture into the caramelised mould.
- Place the flan tin in a larger baking dish filled with hot water (bain-marie).
- Bake in the preheated oven for around 45 to 50 minutes, or until the flan is set and a knife comes out clea
- Remove the flan from the oven and the bain-marie, leave to cool to room temperature, then place in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or even overnight.
The last stage: unmoulding!
- To unmould the flan, run a knife around the edges of the mould to loosen it, then turn it out onto a serving dish. The caramel will turn into a delicious sauce on top of the flan.
- Serve the touron flan well chilled, decorated with toasted flaked almonds or a few crumbs of Maria Simona Spanish nougat of your choice, and why not some red fruit if you like!