The production of the Alicante hard turron of Maria Simona follows the traditional recipe
- Net weight : 150gr
- Shelf life of Hard Turron of Alicante : 9 months minimum.
- Keep it fresh ! Once opened, store in a cool, dry, dark and odour-free place, either in its original packaging or wrapped in foil or film and then in an airtight container. It is a common mistake to keep nougat in the fridge, which only spoils its organoleptic properties as well as its aroma and texture.
- Ingredients: 60% roasted almonds, sugar, glucose syrup, 12% honey, wafer coating (potato starch and sunflower oil) and egg white. May contain traces of peanuts, sesame and hazelnuts.
This product does not contain gluten, so it is suitable for coeliacs.
The Alicante hard turron of Maria Simona has a designation of origin and is protected by the Regulatory Council of Jijona.
The history of Alicante turron
Although no one can deny the close link between the city of Alicante and this candy, it is not known exactly when and how the “original” turron appeared. Almonds and honey were already a common food in Greece and Rome, to give energy to Olympic athletes. The Spanish nougat also presents some similarities with the Arabic baklava. It is widely believed that the recipe originated in Arab countries, but there is no proof of this.
In any case, this candy has an importance for the commune:
– Firstly, we know that as early as 1582, turron was an important part of the Christmas culture in Alicante, as a municipal document of the time mentions that at Christmas time, the workers had Spanish nougat as a salary.
– Then, in the play “La Generosa Paliza” by Lope de Rueda, in 1570, the turron around which the plot revolves is called the “turron of Alicante”.
– Finally, in 1595, turron must have been a real passion in the city, because King Philip II was forced to write a letter asking to limit the city’s spending on turron and fig bread.
Although the city eventually stopped producing Spanish nougat due to a commercial dispute, its name remains a point of reference, associated with the hard variant of this sweet.
To go further
Find all our preparation tips on Maria Simona’s website.
Don’t hesitate to visit our blog to discover our delicious recipes.
And for the starter, why not let yourself be tempted by the delicious Foies Gras Relais Gourmet ?